Thursday, May 28, 2009

Oh crap, I drank the water!

Rule #1 in Nairobi for visitors -- don't walk at night. You'll get robbed.

Rule #2 in Nairobi for visitors -- don't drink the water from the tap.
You'll get issues of the digestive kind.

So I woke up yesterday at 530 and stumbled into the bathroom. I used my
bottled water to wet my toothbrush. And then I rinsed it and put it in my
mouth with...tap water!! As soon as I realized I about yakked it out as
fast as I could. Tap water, what was I thinking?!?!? Crap!!! (Pun
intended!) That's what happens when it is early and you are brushing your
teeth...habit takes over.

Today I went shopping at lunch time with a guy from here. Bought all sorts
of African goods for next to nothing. I'm hoping that I can fit all of it
in my bags without going over and that nothing breaks.

I'm leaving tonight. I am ready to come home, but I am going to miss it
here. Someone told me before I left that everyone he knew who came to
Africa has said it has been a near-spiritual experience. I don't know if
that describes it, but it definitely has not been what I expected. I am
coming back a better person for my time here, with a renewed appreciation
for what I have at both home and at work.

Next stop, Amsterdam! Until then, farewell,
Kenya...it has been a wonderful visit!

1 comment:

  1. Safe travels, can't wait to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete