Monday, May 25, 2009

I ate fish eyes!

That's right, you aren't mistaken.

But first, a little about my day. I woke up at 5, went and biked in the
gym here. The driver took us to work. It was a little bit of a slow start
but we eventually got going. After going to a different building to meet
with their director, one of the men I'm working with here offered to walk
the 7 or so blocks back to the offices where we are.

Nairobi is a very urban city where we are. It reminds me a little of New
York -- lots of people with lots of cars. There aren't really any stop
lights or stop signs. I think I saw one stop light yesterday but everyone
just ignored it. Crosswalks are few and far between. It is mostly just a
free for all.

Anyhow, we walked around and I really enjoyed it. Then we stopped for
lunch.

You walk in and order and they bring it to the table. My walking companion
just ordered for me. Then we washed our hands. I politely played along.
Then the food came. It was a whole fried tilapia with ugali (a corn mush)
and akayo (greens that tasted like collard greens but apparenly aren't).
Then I figured out why we washed our hands....no silverware. Basically you
just pull the fish off the bone, eat scoops of ugali with the akayo. This
was some of the best fish I've ever had! They bring it in daily from the
water.

So I get to the point that I am literally sucking the fish off the bones
when my companion tells me I'm missing the best part. The only part left
is the head. At that point he pops an eye in his mouth. When in
Kenya...so down the hatch it went. (Btw, in case you were wondering, yes,
it looked like what I was eating)

It was SO good that I've never been happier that fish have two eyes! The
whole meal was amazing and I am hoping we can score another lunch there
before we leave.

I worked the rest of the day and then some this evening. Dinner was hotel
buffet with nyama choma -- chargrilled chunks of meat. Excellent!

All in all, a good day. I feel like I got to experience some of what this
place is. It is still surreal to me that I am in Africa. I don't know
when that will wear off.

1 comment:

  1. yum!! Can't say I ever ate fish eyes, but who knows. Thanks for the hoorah yesterday. This sounds like a really great trip....later, mom

    ReplyDelete